A Guide to an Effective Stay Interview
👍🏼👎🏼 A stay interview is a conversation with an employee with the goal of discovering what they like about their role, and the organization, and what they would like to change.
✅ Consider the following tips to make the most of your stay interviews:
✔ Include all employees.
✔ Incorporate the stay interview into the performance review process and hold managers accountable for conducting the interviews.
✔ Training managers on how to conduct effective interviews.
✔ Send employees the questions ahead of time so they can prepare. This builds trust with employees – there should be no surprises during this process!
✔ Prepare a summary report of the responses and share the highlights back with employees.
✔ Make a commitment to fixing some of the issues and communicate what you plan to do in the process.
✔ Thank employees for providing constructive feedback and celebrate the wins!
✔ Ask for feedback on the process itself, improve and REPEAT!
👇🏼 Here are some samples questions to consider asking during a stay interview:
- What part of your job motivates you to come to work every day?
- What do you like the most about working here? What do you like the least?
- What do you like the most about your job? What do you like the least?
- What was your highest/lowest point at work this past year?
- Are your responsibilities/goals clear?
- Do you feel like there is a clear vision for the organization?
- What could you do to improve yourself in your current role?
- How could I/your supervisor help you be more successful in your job?
- Do you receive the right amount of coaching or feedback?
- Do you feel appreciated? Provide examples.
- Do you receive the right amount of recognition? Provide examples.
- What could I/your supervisor do to be a more effective leader?
- Do you feel like you belong to the team? Do you have a best friend at work?
- Describe the workplace culture here?
- Are you happy with your pay and benefits?
- Is there another role in the organization that interests you?
- What could be done to make our company a better place to work?
- Have you ever considered leaving? Why?
- Are you proud to work here? Would you recommend working here to friends?
- How would you rate your overall experience at work this past year?
On a scale of 1 (Worst Ever) to 10 (Best Ever).
⚠ In some situations, having a third-party consultant conduct the stay interviews is the most effective strategy.
🚑 HR911: Let our team of HR professionals help you develop and launch a successful stay interview process in your organization!
Human Resource Consultant – SMART HR